In this article, you will learn tips and steps to write a motivation letter that gives a silver lining to your CV or resume. A motivation letter format contains your basic information, past experiences, life goals and other important academic details that is gives an overview of your profile and help you stand out from the crowd. We have given detailed fail-safe techniques to write a motivation letter that will help you in the long go.
How To Write a Motivation Letter
While writing a perfect motivation letter you should focus on certain do’s and don’ts. Let’s get familiar with these important factors:
- Customize every motivational cover letter for every new institution you apply for.
- Do some research before writing the letter about the institution, concerned person’s name, his/her position.
- Use your first paragraph to gain the attention and interest of the reader by describing how interested you are about the job or admission you are applying for. Make it attractive and interactive to show how you are suitable for the position.
- Proofread your letter for typos and grammatical mistakes and remove them before submitting them.
- Tell the reader how you can help in their future growth by telling your past experiences and skills.
- Keep your letter brief and uncomplicated. Start with a respectful salutation and end with a proper greeting.
- Don’t send your resume without a motivational letter, no matter how perfect is your resume.
- Don’t forget to mention the name of the concerned person. This will definitely reduce the reader’s attention and your letter will end up in the trash.
- Don’t repeat the content you have already provided in your resume.
- Don’t make your motivational letter too lengthy and time-consuming. Three or four paragraphs are enough to tell your story. Remember your reader shall have many more letters to go through.
- Don’t be humorous or comic words as this will make you look unprofessional.
Motivation letter format
Here I will explain to you a perfect motivation letter format, learn and start formatting the letter yourself afterward practically. Firstly provide your name, address and contact details and introduce yourself. Then start with salutation to a specific person and go for personal information, what and where are applying for and why you have applied. Be as factual as possible and explain your achievements, career goals, etc. Mention your future plan, what you want to gain from the institution, end the conclusion and lastly thank and greet the reader. Below are the detailed steps for the motivation letter format with sample format.
Raj Panwar [Sender’s name]
Rishikesh, Uttarakhand [Sender’s Address]
+91-97xxxxxxx8 [Sender’s phone number]
email@example.com [Sender’s email address]
07th March 2020 [The date]
Mr. Arun Kumar [The name of the concerned person]
Director of Internship Ltd [Their professional title]
Sector-15, ABC Building, Noida [The name and address of the company to which you’re applying]
Dear Mr. Arun Kumar, [Salutation]
[Write the opening paragraph and make the reader interested. It starts with explaining why you have applied in the institution and how you relate to their visions. Try to write effectively and include your achievements related to the field.]
[Now you will define why you are fit for the position and how you will be helpful to the institution. Be specific and authentic in your explanation, the reader should not feel that you are faking your personality. After that, tell why the institution is the best fit for you.]
[In the closing paragraph tell them that you are grateful for their attention and would love to tell how your experience or skills can help in their growth.]
Kind Regards, [Formal Closing]
Raj Panwar [Sender’s Name]
[At last, tell something that you would like to share apart from what is mentioned in the letter like you are willing to tell how your experience or an idea helped in the project. ][PostScript]
- In the first lines, you will mention your name and academic qualification. Write qualification below your name with a font size less than the name. Write the date and name of the concerned person with the address of the institution you are applying to.
- Write a proper salutation in the second part related to the reader, i.e, dear, respected, Mr, Mrs, etc.
- The third part starts with explaining why you have applied in the institution and how you relate to their visions. Try to write effectively and include your achievements related to the field.
- Now you will define why you are fit for the position and how you will be helpful to the institution. Be specific and authentic in your explanation, the reader should not feel that you are faking your personality. After that, tell why the institution is the best fit for you.
- In the closing paragraph tell them that you are grateful for their attention and would love to tell how your experience or skills can help in their growth.
- Give a Formal closing and mention the name.
- At last, provide postscript in which you have to tell your past projects.
Motivation Letter Format
Finally, remember to keep it short and interesting and you get a perfect motivational letter.